Choosing Correct Necklace Length
Recommended necklace lengths will best underline a certain pendant shape, size or style, furthermore, it is necessary to consider that different necklace lengths flatter different people and different necklines so it is necessary to consider the chain length that fits factors beyond your outfit and personal style.
N.B. All Stories of Silver & Silk handmade necklace chains can be adjusted and made to order to proffered length, except the factory-made chains that come with certain styles which will always be noted in product description.
Necklaces or chains come in industry standard lengths; generally there are six different lengths for women (14, 16, 20, 24, 30 and 34”), and four for men (18, 20, 24, 30”).
The jewelry industry has standard necklace lengths that come with necklace length and denomination for that length, along with proper placement of the necklace.
Standard Necklace Lengths for Women
Women’s necklaces are standardly sold in even-inch lengths (in jewelry business we do not normally talk about centimeters, as almost all industrially made chains will come in inches, we included corresponding lengths in centimeters in the chart for more clarity, however measures in centimeters are rounded to even number). This chart will help you learn where each necklace length falls on the average woman’s body (these description are made for standard body measures but every body (and neck) is different so if you are unsure we always recommend to determine correct measure for yourself – more on that below).
If possible, take the time to measure your neck before purchasing any necklace (especially when you are deciding for a choker). The best way is of course to measure one of the existing necklaces which falls exactly how you like it.
If that’s not possible then measure your neck with a soft measuring tape, then lay it flat on a surface and measure the length up to the mark. This measurement should be your necklace chain length. We recommend you to consider the style of the pendant and also the size of the necklace chain before making final decision.
- Fits like a choker and wraps closely around the neck
- CHOKER: Proper chokers are 14 -16 inches in length, and are worn tightly against your neck. What is convenient about them is that You can wear it with just about anything, but if worn on a short neck or a wide one, your neck can look stubby. A choker will draw attention to your neck, so if you’re insecure about the state of it, these should be avoided. A long necklace with a beautiful pendant will attract more flattering attention instead.
Choker or Collar
- Falls perfectly around the base of the neck like a collar. On a petite woman it hangs loosely around the neck and falls just at the collarbone. On a plus size women it might sit more like a choker.
- COLLAR: A necklace of 14 inches is known as a collar. Like a choker, you wear it tightly around your neck. However, collar necklaces suit clothing with open necks the best. You’d want to wear a collar necklace with a v-neck or a scoop-neck. Off-the-shoulder styles would work, too.
- A common choice for necklaces with medium size pendants that will sit elegantly on the collarbone.
- PRINCESS: A necklace of 18 inches is known as a princess necklace. It’s probably the most common and popular necklace length, a versatile piece of jewelry that looks good with just about everything. These are great for professional and casual outfits, but they can also make a thick neck look longer and thinner.
- Will fall just below the collarbone.
- MATINEE: Necklaces with lengths of 20-24 inches are called matinee necklaces, best worn as a chain or with a larger pendant.
- Falls at or just above the top of the bust.
- OPERA: around 30-inch necklaces are called opera, single or multi layer chain in different length is especially popular option for this style.
Lariat or Rope Necklace
- Hangs around the belly-button.
- LARIAT or ROPE: longer lengths than 45” are collectively called ropes or lariats, and will sit around center of the bust or lower. Usually a good choice for evening or elegant business attire.
Cleaning silver jewelry
Silver is eventually going to change color when exposed to tarnishing elements. It is advisable to clean silver jewelry after each use in order to keep its original luster and color. There are several methods and products that can be used and work well but are to be…
Silver jewelry and tarnishing
Silver Jewelry & Tarnishing Tarnishing, or toning, is an effect on the outermost layer of silver metal that causes it to become discolored. As you know more about it, you can better prevent your silver jewelry from getting darken. Silver is one of the most…
HOW TO KEEP YOUR JEWELRY WARDROBE ORGANIZED AND UP TO DATE
HOW TO KEEP YOUR JEWELRY WARDROBE ORGANIZED AND UP TO DATE Just as you clean your wardrobe, it is advisable that you check on your jewelry on regular basis as well. An organized closet (or jewelry box) will not only help you to find pieces of jewelry quickly, but also…